Burlington's minimum housing inspection rating system was the feature of a front-page story in Saturday August 15th's edition of the Burlington Free Press. As we blogged about back in January, the city has adopted a new rating system for rental properties in the city.
Properties can receive a certificate good for between 1 to 5 years of occupancy without requiring an additional inspection. A property with no violations receives a five year certificate. The cover story, authored by Zach Despart, serves to update the original story and offer some data in support of the new policy:
· The city has performed 342 Inspections since January
· 40% received a five-year certificate
· 21% received a four-year certificate
· 7% received a three-year certificate
· One property received a two-year certificate
· 111 Properties "had yet to address violations